Sporting Chance has been established to assist children and youth (ages 8-18) attending primary, intermediate or college in Upper Hutt where finance is a barrier to participation in sport or physical activity. It is not about talent identification, but rather it is about giving children and youth the opportunity to participate in sport.
This includes providing:
- Sports club related fees
- Sporting equipment not provided through the club, or school
- Sporting uniform or clothing
- Sporting footwear
The Sporting Chance Fund is facilitated by Activation, and funded by the TAB. Round 4 closes Friday 2 October at 4pm.
- The applicant’s immediate family is unable to support their child by providing the necessary equipment, clothing or sport-related costs to enable participation in sport or physical activity.
- The applicant must be regularly attending primary, intermediate or college in Upper Hutt.
- The completed application is genuinely in aid of assisting participation in sport or physical activity which otherwise would not take place.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to complete an application form and have it signed by two referees. Referees may either be the child’s school principal OR an appropriate support agency. Referees can also help complete the application form.
All applications are processed by the Upper Hutt Sporting Chance Assessment Panel. Successful applicants will receive a letter and details of their assistance through Activation. Unsuccessful applicants receive written notification of the outcome.
Outcomes of financial assistance
- To create positive lifestyles and habits around sport and physical activity.
- To reduce the financial barriers for children and youth to allow for an increase in their physical activity levels.
- To increase the number of children and youth undertaking regular physical activity.
- Increase the self-esteem of children and youth, and enhance their social skills.
For more information please call Ellie Davidson on (04) 527-2148 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sporting Chance Application Form [PDF, 240kb]
Sporting Chance Overview [PDF, 176kb]
Sporting Chance Summary [PDF, 208kb]
Activation, the sport and active recreation team at Upper Hutt City Council, has a role to support and develop Schools, Clubs and Active Recreation groups in the Upper Hutt Community, and to assist them to achieve their individual outcomes.Activation’s mission is to get more Upper Hutt people, more active, more often through facilitating a seamless range of physical activity opportunities along the continuum from exploration to excellence.The concept of a Sporting Chance fund was initially set up by Sport Otago, and has been adopted by Canterbury West Coast Sports Trust and Activation, to help young people from financially disadvantaged families to participate in their chosen sporting activities.
Activation recognises that:
- Children want to play sport, and those that are often missing out reside in families who cannot afford for their children to participate.
- Children love playing sport and some are now being denied that pleasure through no fault of their own.
- There are significant health and learning benefits to children by being more physically active and sport provides an important avenue in this regard.
Frequently asked questions
How much can I apply for?
Sporting Chance is a small grant fund, for which we can pay for footwear, season fees (subs), clothing, or similar costs. We will give you what support we can.
How often can I apply?
You can apply up to twice a year if the child/student is playing a winter and a summer sport, or once a year for an annual sport.
Why don’t you cover tournament costs?
Sporting Chance is a participation fund and is aimed at getting as many children and youth involved in sport as possible. It is not the purpose of this fund to help with representative or elite sport.